Practice Areas Overview
North Carolina Criminal Defense and Real Estate Law Firm
We are a general practice firm with offices in Manteo and Columbia, North Carolina. While many of our clients come to us seeking aggressive criminal defense, we also provide strategic counsel in real estate closings, estate planning, business law, ship’s mortgages and municipal law.
We can represent you in any of the following:
- DWI / DUI: We routinely handle the defense of DWI/DUI offenses for North Carolina state residents and tourists. If you or someone you love has been arrested for a DWI/DUI, we can effectively protect your rights and/or seek to minimize the penalties in your case.
- Traffic Offenses: We are experienced in defending our clients in moving and non-moving traffic offenses. Contact us to protect your license, minimize insurance points and court fines and reduce all penalties in a traffic violation case.
- Driving while License Revoked: If you were charged with driving while your license was revoked you may face permanent loss of your license and may be subject to jail time. Consult with our attorneys as soon as possible to learn more about protecting your rights or preserving your privilege to drive.
- Speeding Tickets: A speeding ticket can result in serious penalties including fines, loss of license and higher insurance premiums. Our lawyers will protect your rights and seek to reduce the charges against you and/or minimize the penalties you might suffer.
- Possession of Drugs: Our attorneys wage an aggressive defense in drug possession cases. We will begin an immediate investigation to suppress illegally obtained evidence and seek to reduce penalties or eliminate your charges. For youthful offenders, there are court-sanctioned programs with which our attorneys are experienced that can minimize penalties or avoid conviction altogether.
- Underage Drinking: We represent youthful offenders, particularly high school and college-age students in the defense of underage drinking tickets. It is particularly important for these clients to minimize penalties and avoid a criminal record.
- Real Estate Closings: We have extensive experience in commercial and residential real estate closings and will protect and guide you through your very important transaction. We represent buyers, sellers and developers.
- Estate planning: We assist clients in establishing estate planning goals and reviewing and drafting on-point wills and trusts, powers of attorney, living wills and healthcare powers of attorney.
- Business and commercial law: We are skilled in assisting clients with business formations, business contracts, advice on business management, and other business issues relating to partnerships, limited liability companies (LLC), corporations, or other business entities.
- Ship’s mortgages: We have significant experience representing individuals and businesses in ship’s mortgages. If you are interested in closing a boat purchase, sale or refinance for your multi-million dollar sport fisherman, pleasure yacht or cruiser or your commercial fishing vessel, we know how to get the job done and can represent you effectively.
- Municipal work: Our municipal work includes representing towns, counties and boards throughout northeast North Carolina. Dwight H. Wheless was the Dare County attorney for 25 years and has extensive experience in municipal law.
Contact Wheless & Wheless, PLLC today for a free consultation with an experienced Manteo and Columbia, North Carolina lawyer. Our legal team provides aggressive, result-driven advocacy you can trust in residential real estate closings, business formations, municipal law and criminal defense.
Free consultations • Both offices located conveniently near the respective Columbia and Manteo courthouses